Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Battery is fine - power doesn't seem to be getting to the

Customer Question

Battery is fine - power doesn't seem to be getting to the starter - I jumped the starter and it spun - then it cranked twice - now back to no crank -
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: no clicks - I do here a kind of a hum - very faint
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: a classic 2001 focus ; 0
JA: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked for ground, then I jumped the starter to see if it was spinning - it did and then it cranked ... twice
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is this going to cost
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Ford Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: sounds good
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you. I read your notes andwhat you have done so far and have a few questions before we start. Do you have a multi meter and or volt meter and test light? How old is the battery and have you performed a load test on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bat is new - I do have a multi meter - its a bit of a mystery to me - I also have a test light

Thanx for that info. Can you put a volt meter across the battery terminals and read the voltage drop when you try to start it? what do you have when it starts and when it don't/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to do that I will have to figure out how to use the multi-meter - that will take a while - I'll get back to you

very well.