A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 2009 Ford F-150 Lariat driver's side power seat does not

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford F-150 Lariat driver's side power seat does not work, nor does the power brake pedal, the mirrors dfo work I keep reading about an orange wire with green trace that has a splice I can't find it in the passenger side track though
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I won a repair shop Really just fuses, the guys seem to think the module needs replaced but that is not the consensus on line
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: own
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wish I had won it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** of these problems are different circuits and have different fuses that supply power to them. Do you or have you had any water leaks inside the cab?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I have not had any water, the fuses are fine. The seats and power brake pedal don't work. Lumbar still does.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everyone on line talks about a splice, Orange wire with green trace that becomes corroded. That is on 2006 and below it appears. I don't have that wire in the passenger tray, nor in the driver's.
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

I am opting out of this one. Another Expert can jump in and help you.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

The fuse for the adjustable brake pedal is the #20 in the smart junction block, located at the right kick panel.

The drivers side power seat fuse #74 in the battery junction block, located under the hood.

The mirrors are fed from the fuse #41 in the smart junction block and a accessory delay relay in the same sjb, so check all of these fuses on both sides of the fuse with either a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light.

Here are the wiring diagrams I was looking at,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Actually looking at the power dist wiring diagram, the driver seat module and mirror are both fed from the same fuse #12 in the smart junction block.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right, the mirror works and the seat does not, nor does the electric brake pedal
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

The mirror does work? I thought that typo "the mirrors dfo work" meant don't work.

Anyhow, check all of those fuses and if they are ok, you have the wiring diagrams so start testing the wire/s leading to each item that is out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't seem like you guys are getting the info I send. The fuses are Good. I checked them. The mirrors DO work. The seat controls DO Not work. The Brake pedal does Not work
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

you have the wiring diagrams so start testing the wire/s leading to each item that is out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diagrams you sent are for a 6 way drivers seat and 10 way passenger. Mine are both 10 way...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Ok, perhaps I put in the wrong engine.

What engine did come in this?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Plus is it 4wd or 2wd, extra cab or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a 2009 F-150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab. Seats are heated. Cooled 10 way 5.4 liter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I think perhaps you are confusing the fact the seat is heated and/or cooled as an addition to a direction. It's not added into the way the seat move, so it's a 6-way drivers power seat and I have also included the heated seat wiring but since the problem is the movement you should not need that diagram.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Does the drivers seat also recline and have lumbar movement like the passenger side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I'm not confusing it. I own an auto repair center. I looked it up on AllData and it gave me the same diagrams you did. 6 way driver. My truck does recline and have lumbar on both sides. It's crazy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

This is the second time today my wiring diagrams have been wrong.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm so lost now I don't know what's wrong. AllData shows what you do, but I know my drivers side reclines and has lumbar. We even looked up 2008. Completely different
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lumbar still works on drivers side
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

did you find out why the adjustable pedals don't work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Everything I read says they are tied to the seat somehow. Maybe memory controls
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

That is not what I read. I suppose I'll opt out, unless you want to share what you read.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The brake pedal goes through the control module for the seat. Tied to the memory positions. I guess if you lose power to the seat and memory it affects the brake pedal too
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

Does your 2009 F150 have the memory seat buttons on the side panel of the drivers seat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does

All of these are controlled by the DSM (Drivers Seat Module). Since some of the functions work and some do not, you should have the DSM checked for trouble codes.

Since the lumbar works, you can rule out the fuse for the power seat switch. The functions for the seat switch go from the switch to the DSM and then to the motors to move the seat. Everything is under the drivers seat. The lumbar goes from the switch straight to the motor for the lumbar. The power mirrors and adjustable brake pedal go through the DSM before going to the motors. Check the wiring under the drivers seat, and have the DSM checked for trouble codes. Sounding more like a failing DSM.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what I was thinking too. I ordered a new one. Getting the seat out without being able to move the seat back and forth will be a pain !

The new DSM will need to be programed to the vehicle for it to work properly. See the directions below.

Also, on the bolts, I found that a gear wrench (ratcheting wrench) works best on getting the seat to floor bolts out when the seat will not move. But that also depends on the position of the seat.

Below is the link.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's awesome! Thank you !

Your very welcome.