kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

The shifter will not go into park position. Not sure. Truck

Customer Question

The shifter will not go into park position.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: Not sure. Truck is with my daughter, away from my home. How can she check for fuse?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: They're trying to fix it themselves. Tried to google problem and it mentions something about a loose screw(?).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: By the way, is there is fee/charge for providing this service to me? Just need to know how to go in park
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

Will the shifter go into park but the truck still rolls?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
shifter does not go into park at all. truck was turned off with shifter in neutral.

Will the key turn in the switch at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Will the truck start if the shifter is put into neutral?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the truck will start if the shifter is put into neutral

But it will not go into park even if the truck is running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct. Can't go into park even when the engine was running.

Then the shift tube or the shift interlock will be the problem. Can the key be removed from the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they were able to turn engine off w/ shifter in neutral and remove key from ignition.

At the base of the steering column there is a gold round solenoid. This will take the both of them to do, Have one get under the dash so they can get to the solenoid and try to pull the plunger back while the other one shifts the shifter into park.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will this solve the problem? Or just a temporary fix? Any parts need to be purchased to take care of problem permanently?

If they can get it back into park then yes the shift interlock should reset itself and no parts will be needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What if shift interlock does not reset itself? Then what needs to be done? What parts need to be purchased? What caused the problem in the first place and can something be done so it doesn't happen again?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still answering questions??

I am sorry, my internet went down. When they turned the switch off with the shifter in neutral, the interlock locked thinking the shifter was in park. With the gear selector switch not reading park, the inter lock can not reliese. This inturn locks out park.Once the shifter is put back into park the interlock can unlock for the shifter to be taken out of park again.

If the interlock does not unlock then the solenoid will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hope this works, daughter trying to look for solenoid and fix problem per your instructions.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You'll be a "five star general" if all goes well!

Where they able to find the solenoid in the truck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not heard back from them. Is it easy to find and get to? I just told them to look for the "gold round solenoid".

It is easy to get to, and if they need to replace it, there are just two bolts on the bottom of the column that hold it on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long can I keep you online should I have more questions? Is there a time limit? I don't know when my girls will call me back.

I will be here for you as long as you need. I may not be able to get right back with you , but I will respond asap.

And no there is no time limit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I'll just wait for my girls to respond, hopefully saying they were able to correct the problem. That's all for now but I won't rate you until I'm finished. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since I have you online may I ask another question regarding my own car?

Sure

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot making a "rattle" sound. It's usually louder when I first start the car in the morning. I originally took my car in for a "loud purring" sound so they replace the manifold and some kind of belt (this was covered under warranty). I wasn't able to pick up my car from the dealer after the work was done. So when I called the dealer back because I could still hear that same sound again he mentioned the AC compressor. This will cost $1400. I just want your feedback on this.

Does the sound change in pitch or tone if the ac is on or off? Does the ac work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
AC still works. Just turned on my car (hard rattle sound still there) and turned AC on, didn't affect sound pitch or tone. My car is parked now and I don't really hear the sound when I'm on the road. Usually able to hear rattle when in park or idling.

Does the sound change any if you go from park to revers or drive?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Started car up again and, to me, there was no sound change when I shifted gears.

Can you tell about where the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sounds like from the engine/motor.

Let me see what I can find in this. I will get back to you asap.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Looking forward to your response.

Wat size engineie do you have in your Jeep?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What's Evie?

Sorry my tablet stinks. What size engine do you have in your jeep?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2.4L
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, still there?

I had to step out for a little bit. I will be back at my desk in about 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wondered what happened to you.

Had to go look at a Taurus for a friend.

Where they able to get it into park?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I last texted them, they were not able to get it into park. Couldn't ask much 'cause they were leaving for work. I'm assuming they could drive the truck but needed to park it on flat spot. They had asked a friend to check on the problem, don't know results.

Would a pic of the solenoid help? I have a grand Maquis, but the columns are the same.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, wouldn't hurt. At least I'll know what you're talking about.

I will snap a pic when I get back. Kinda hard to do driving down the road lol

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, please don't text and drive.

I am his helper helper. He Nevers texts and drives.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok glad to know he has an extra pair of hands on board
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had problems. I hope you're still there. Just had a very long talk (complaint) with your customer service rep, not about you but about their "hidden" service fee. I told Julia I totally appreciated your responses/advice to my questions but I do not appreciate seeing the "Free Trial" service tag after being charged the $28 fee and providing the credit card info. That's not right!! I will rate you after this final response. Right now I'm very upset! This web site wasn't upfront with the cost!

I am sorry to hear that you fell like you have been taken for a ride by the site. I hope you understand that I have no control over what the site does, as I only get to see the question you post. I do not even know your name. I actually work from home, or my shop. I do hope that you are happy with the help I have given you. I still need to look into the rattle in your jeep.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am very happy with the service you provided. I will give you five star credit for sure. But right now maybe I shouldn't continue the questions since I cancelled my membership and I don't want to take up any more of your time. Like I told Julia, customer rep, "Free Trial" for seven days is not free when I'm being charged $28.

Please do not rate me if you are asking for a refund. It only hurts me in the long run. I do not mind helping even if you do not rate me and ask for a refund.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you prefer I don't rate you, I won't. If I can't then I'll end here. Thank you for everything!!