Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4. The following items do not

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4. The following items do not work unless the vehicle has been running for at least 30 minutes (sometimes longer is necessary); power windows, windshield wipers, radio, blower/defrost/heater/ac. Is this a fuse issue or something else?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

One thing I want you to try next time this happens, when you get in it to start it, after it's running, and you verify the heater is inop and the windows don't work, Turn the heater ON, to where it normally would work, and just barely twist the ignition key slightly a few degrees, not enough to grind the starter of course, but about 4 or 5 degrees twist it back and forth and see if the blower motor comes to life and starts blowing when you do that. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

All of these accessories are tied to IGN. switch power so my thoughts are the electrical portion of the ignition switch is worn out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In the past, all of those items listed have started functioning after the truck ran for a little while; so you are thinking after it warms up the power to those items come on?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The truck does not make additional noises, has low mileage for it's age (approx. 145000) and has been great except for this issue that started about six months ago. So it happens warm, hot or cold weather.
Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

My theory is that the ignition switch contacts are worn, and going over a bump or turning the vehicle a certain way may move the key in the switch just enough to make contact. If you perform that test, where everything doesn't work you described, and leave the heater on and turn the key in the switch and it comes on. That would be a good indication of the ignition switch being worn out.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

Can you try that test and let me know if the heater comes to life after twisting the key a little?

Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

Any luck trying that test to see if it helped? thanks.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

I have some other things to look at if that test didn't work. Thank you.