Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Power windows only work when the driver do is closed and

Customer Question

Power windows only work when the driver do is closed and randomly stops working
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 4 door, v6/1996
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked behind the dash for the relay. Then I just checked in between the door and I have found a yellow wire that is loose don't know what it goes to tho
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: It has 250,000. And yea the car starts good and runs good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The windshield wipers turn on randomly and I changed the wiper/turn signal switch already.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech to help you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes to what is happening and have a suggestion, noting the mileage and what you stated, I would suggest removing the driver's lower kick panel to revel the connector going to the door harness. Undo that connector and pull it through the body hole towards the door, then open up the covering on the harness so you can inspect each wire for breakage. You can repair these wires by adding a short piece of wire , solder it with shrink tubing over the solder joint, then tightly tape it all back. Depending where that brake is you may have to remove the door panel and do repairs as needed there.it's the opening and closing the doors that flexes the wiring breaking them. Hope this helps solve your problem.