Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2013 fusion titanium ecoboost. No start no crank issue.

2013 fusion titanium ecoboost. No start no crank issue. Batteries in remotes and care are good. push button only blinks. fuel pump cycles.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: original. 66,000 miles. started fine on friday
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to. I checked or changed the relays in the fuse panel. reset the remote start to off. everything seems to act just like normal but no crank.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

hello

1st thing to try is resetting the push button start

this is usually done by locating the metal portion on the keyfob and hold it in direct contact with the metal ring around the push start button

if this doesn't help then its quite possible the car battery is discharged / flat

so I'd say the next step is to attach a battery charger overnight or for at least 2 hours and then try again to start it

once started you may want to have the battery load tested to see if its faulty and replace accordingly

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both fobs have new batteries and I also put each one in the "dead fob battery" location in the console where ford says to put it. The vehicle battery is fully charged and has been. All lights and accessories work perfect. No anti theft warnings either. The only thing is no crank. The push button start blinks green when trying to start but nothing. relays have been checked. "swapped with others in panel" no change. This happened out of the blue and have had no symptoms prior to the condition.

OK have you tried what I've suggested?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that. At least I think so. is there supposed to be something that tells you it's reset? The fob has some chrome on it but not sure it's metal. Does the ignition have to be on when doing it?

hello

if its working the dash will spring to life and light up and then the push button work normally

if it snot working then I'd say to try a jump start take great care to ensure the battery cables are connected the correct way round

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The dash looks normal just like it does when everything is working perfectly. I also put a very large battery charger on with jump assist and still no crank. It doesn't even make a sound like the starter trying. Battery charger was on for 5 hours and only putting in 10 amps. Battery is full. I even tried a jump box. Nothing. Is it possible for the starter to fail instantly? I was a paid mechanic for about 15 years and have done all the basics. I was wondering about the ford electronics that may be preventing a crank.

Hello

OK thanks for the extra information

does the engine turn over by hand ?

if it does then its possibly the starter and they can suddenly fail but it's unusual as they normally fail more gradually

if you were to use the jump leads to directly power the starter to see if it will kick over then this will prove this out

however I'd say that its sounding like the push button start may well be faulty

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try to get to the starter directly and try it. Shouldn't the remote start work if the push button is bad?

Hello

the start module / functionality is common between both the remote and the push button so if the starter module is faulty or the power supply to the module is faulty

sorry to say that I think that the next steps will be to get the car plugged into a dealer level diagnostic tool as this can interface with the start functionality and test it through

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok crap! That means a $200 towed to the dealership. I was hoping to avoid that with something more simple. It's just very odd that it would just happen overnight. Is there such a thing as a Coldstart issue? It was 28° outside when I tried to start it.

Cold conditions can make this sort of thing worse as things contract with temperature, which makes a poor electrical connection worse

however from what you've described and what you've tested I'd say the issue is more of an electronic one

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you