Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Starts fine when its cold but once it gets warm it shuts off

Customer Question

starts fine when its cold but once it gets warm it shuts off and or wont start when its warm, If you start it in the morning it runs fine until it gets almost to operating temperature and it shuts off. when its warm it wont start. It just turns over and keeps turning over but wont styrt.It acts as though it i out of fuel.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: i don't think much h had changed as far as fuel consumption
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2002 F350 4x4 Regular cab
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes normally do unless its something i cant get to.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not that i can think of don't want to pay for help unless the person is truly as diesel mechanic that has 7.3 experiance
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out at all this needs done first here.If any codes are set those codes will need diagnosed and will help locate this issue here.I have seen faults with ignition components like ignition relay failure that can heat up and cause this here as well as various engine sensors.If there is any way you can get the codes checked and post them here this will help.In some cases a local parts store will read the engine fault codes at no charge to you.If this is not an option let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The check engine light is not on. Would it still have codes if the check engine engine light is not on? Is there a cheaper reader that would read my codes?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

In some cases a code will set and if the fault goes away on the next start up then no light will be on but a code can still be stored in the computers memory.If you can I would have the codes checked to see if any codes are set here.There are cheap code readers out there that can read the engine computer.You want to make sure it is compatible with your model here.This one in the link below will work to just read out and clear the codes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxGord-CAN-OBD-II-Scanner-Tool-for-Check-Engine-Light-Diagnostics-Direct-Scan-and-Read-Out/150731313?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=693&adid=22222222227046941441&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=146934810922&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-257964074393&wl5=9021359&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354462&wl11=online&wl12=150731313&wl13=&veh=sem

If you can get the codes checked and post here if any codes were set this will help let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This will read codes for the 2002 ford diesel? It was my understanding that the cheap readers won't read codes for the 2002 ford units as they didn't use odb II communications.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Let me double check this one I will post back here shortly

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Looks like that one does not read the 7.3 on your model year.Doing a little more research it was suggested this is the cheapest or best option here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-CP9185-Elite-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-/142119068351?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368