Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

2005 freestar doesn't seem to be recharging battery.. car

Customer Question

2005 freestar doesn't seem to be recharging battery.. car started fine ran well awhile then after about 1/2 hr lost radio and bottom row warning lights came on...got home ok shut off....later tried to restart ..wouldnt....let set on trickle charge 4-5 hrs and restarted right away..let idle in driveway for 1/2 hr at which time the idle became very rough. shut off and couldn't restart.... put on trickle charge overnight and started great in AM but again in 1/2hr or so rough idle.. shut off ..wouldnt restart
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any indicator lights on, on the dash? Check engine or anything?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oil indicator check engine seat belt airbag all on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I meant when it was running

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Basically it sounds like the alternator has stopped charging. The thing is, if the battery won't hold the charge it could also be a problem. What I would do is charge the battery and have it tested. Most parts stores will do this free of charge for you. If the battery tests good, then replace the alternator. I believe from your description the van is running on the battery, which would indicate the alternator has failed.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!