Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I had an accident with my left front strut. The bolt under

Customer Question

I had an accident with my left front strut. The bolt under the hood was taken off while car is jacked up. How can i get strut off safely.?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford? What confuses you?
Customer: 97 Taurus gl. The spindle is still in upper plate but not above the plate to put nut back on.
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have used the hex key in the headspindle to get. It but no
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No . it turns the spindle but its not bringing it up the threds to put nut back on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im concerned with the tention or pressure it contains injuring me
Category: Ford
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you. What I suggest is purchasing or renting some spring compressors(from autozone or the like), compress the spring while it's on the car, then remove the strut. I've done this is my early years(over 10 years ago) and I got in a position that I couldn't be hurt, and i loosened the bolts. I got it out, but I damaged the cv axle in the process.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the spring compressor easy enough for a women to do without someone else's strength? I changed the first strut. Alone
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

The spring compressor is easy, and you may not need someone else's strength. Also, the trick is to get the claws in the right spots so that they don't start to shift while you are compressing the spring.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much. I can do it.
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you can. And no problem. If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be great. Thank you...