Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2009 F150 with 90,000 miles on it, with a 5.4 L

Customer Question

I have a 2009 F150 with 90,000 miles on it, with a 5.4 L motor. My friend recently had to replace his 5.4 engine (in a 2004 F150) at 116,000 miles. I've been reading that there is a design problem in this engine with the "camshaft phaser". My questions are: 1.any idea what percentage of these engines are failing like this? 2. anything I can do to prevent the problem? 3. is it likely to fail suddenly or give me some warning. Thanks.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  ddamato1986 replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, unfortunately these motors are notorious for having valve train issues. The Cam Phasers have engineering flaws, and repair could cost you in excess of $1500. There isn't much you can do from a preventative standpoint, however make sure you religiously change your oil every 3500 miles, use a high mileage synthetic and consider using a lower viscosity oil. These will put less of a strain on the engine and ultimately the cam gears ( phasers).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One friend recommended an oil additive called something like "lifter cleaner". Think it's worth using that stuff? Thanks.

Im a firm believer of additives, especially Lucas products. They are designed to help your engine perform at higher temperatures with lower levels of friction and help remove unwanted sediment around lifters. I see no harm in giving it a try. Its a low cost alternative to offset or eliminate future issues. Whatever you use though, make sure you are consistent id using it every oil change. That's what will extend the life of your motor.