Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Put a new relay in as well as a new fuel pump. I get power

Customer Question

put a new relay in as well as a new fuel pump. I get power to relay but not fuel pump. I ran a jumper and the car started but not for long.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 113,000
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: and yes it was running fine till the fuel pump went out it is a 1999 crown vic police inceptor. First is was jerking when I accelerated like it was not getting gas...then the check engine lights came on and flash 5 times then went off...then it ran okay for about 3-4 miles then it just shut down. So i put a new relay and fuel pump in vehicle. I get power to relay but not fuel pump
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I ran a jumper around the relay and it started. Is it possible there is a ground wire i am over looking
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no any help
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 22 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Is the relay getting power to and out of the inertia switch?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
if i give you me sons phone number would you please call him since he is the one working on it?

Since you have power out of the inertia switch then the relay is working. Since you have no power from the inertia switch to the pump, that would indicate there is a break in the wire harness. Do you need a wire diagram?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
i understand that i would like for you to speak with my son since he is the one working on my car.. An no i dont think he has a wiring diagram

I am not able to call now, but here is the wire diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cvpump.pdf

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
my son also got a P0231 code
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 21 days ago.

Since the code is for a different issue we will have to address that on a different question. I am only allowed on this question to answer questions pertaining to the original question.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 18 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 19 hours ago.

Are you still needing help with the fuel pressure concern?