Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 Ford escape had in car wash and in park and engine

Customer Question

2003 Ford escape had in car wash and in park and engine stalled several times. AT home put in park and would stall after about 1 minute running. Any thoughts on this-drove 90 miles and around town last two days and had no issues.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 3 months ago.

Greetings,

This vehicle uses a coil over plug ignition system. As with any ford vehicles with this design the coils break down with high mileage and when wet. this causes the engine to misfire and if bad enough would cause the engine to stall. If you can get the vehicle scanned for trouble codes(they will be in history if not cleared) we will know for sure what the issue was.

let me know how many miles and what the codes are.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its my daughters car. it has 111k and she recently had the coils replaced as it was misfiring as she drove. I noticed the wire to the Idle control value was frayed, I put some tape on it-could this be the problem.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 3 months ago.

​yes, if the wires are frayed and the wires touch and short out it could cause stalling. If you can get the codes it will help in diagnosis. Many parts stores will scan for free.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks I taking it into the shop on thursday
Expert:  Ironmike replied 3 months ago.

If you would have gotten the trouble codes I could have helped much more. Like I said many parts stores will scan for free. I use an APP from google play(torque pro) on my phone and it works with a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter(e-bay)

I have a Samsung s7 . Cost is under 30$ for the APP and adapter. pulls codes, live data and clears codes.