Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

I have a ford everest which the battery drain even if the

Customer Question

I have a ford everest which the battery drain even if the engine is off
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I bought a new battery 5 days ago. This is not the first time it happens, so i bought a new one since the previous battery is about 4 years
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2012 ford everest, 4x2 AT
JA: Are you fixing your ZX2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The first t8me it happen was on the 23 dec, so i chnge the battery on the 24th. Prior to that, my aircon bug down so i send it to a/c tech for repair. I NOTICE THAT THE AC TECH make a new connection for my ac .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I read on some forum that the battery drain because electrical devise is consuming the battery evev if the battery and or ignition is lock.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

.