Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I have a 96 ranger with a 4.0 V6. 190K on it. Having firing

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My name is***** have a 96 ranger with a 4.0 V6. 190K on it. Having firing problems, I noticed the Throttle Body had a large amount of oil in it. The plugs were all gunked up. I replaced the Plugs and PCV valve and talked to owners of a mechanic shop. While I was there the pressure in the engine blew the PCV Valve out of the hole a couple of times. The guy told me I have a broken valve spring or something. While getting ready to pull the Throttle body off to remove the heads I found a broken hose going to the Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor. I was wondering if this could have been my problem all along?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: It started with #1 and #5 cylinder not firing and went to just various cylinders not firing
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replace the ignition and the plugs and PCV valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- do a compression test , you should see 150 psi & higher

2- a broken valve springs will cause that .

3- the DPFS sensor vacuum lines need to be connected and working but will not cause that pcv valve being blown , clean intake manifold & the egr tube , take off & clean

4- did you scan it & retrieve any fault codes

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just various misfiring on the codes, that was it.

what was the fault code P0300

Random multiple misfire ,you need to look for vacuum leaks , you obliviously have one a the feedback sensor so fix & retest

spray starting fluid at the intake manifold on cold engine and see if the engine surges up

check fuel pressure ,low or weak fuel pump will cause multiple misfire

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat