Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Im not getting power to my icm, 2003 ford explorer, 4.0 flex

im not getting power to my icm
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 ford explorer, 4.0 flex fuel
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: it doesnt start or get any spark
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tested for fuel and it gets fuel fine, tested for spark and got nothing. thought the icm was bad but there was no power going to it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no im good

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Are you referring to the white/light blue wire going to the coil assembly?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There's 4 wires that go into it. I don't get anything out of the left or right wire, but I get like .194 volts out of the middle two

The white/light blue wire should have around 12v with key in on position. This wire gets power from the 15 amp fuse in location 38 of fuse box under the hood. Make sure fuse is not blown, if good remove/reinsert a few times to make sure it has a good connection. If everything is good up to this point verify the fuse has voltage with key on. If fuse has voltage but not wire at coil this means wire is damaged somewhere between coil and fuse. You will need to follow wire to find damage or run a new wire. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing, let me know if there is anything else I can do. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o64zhmazc5dcagq/cw.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you the fuse was blown and now im getting twelve volts, but its still not starting

Did you replace the ICM/coil assembly?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i did not

I'd check again to see if you are getting spark, if not then I'd recommend replacing it. The fuse would pretty much only blow if it is failing or wiring is shorting out and if wiring was shorting it would probably blow every time you turned key on. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you very much. its 02:00am and there isnt any parts stores open so i will let you know tommorow what i find out

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I replaced the ignition coil and still won't start, but now the fuse keeps blowing everytime I try to start it like you said, where would be a good starting point to look for the short

If fuse keeps blowing that means wiring is shorted so you will need to replace wire that goes between coil/ICM and fuse.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found a short and repaired the wire but now everytime I turn the key on it blows the fuse

Then there is another short. Disconnect coil to make sure fuse still blows if so find the other short or replace the wire.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The wire on the left side of the ignition coil ( not the 4 wires that plug into the coil, is causing it to blow. I just watched it spark. It's getting 12 volts to it but whenever it's connected it makes the fuse blow
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's connected with some squat rush this with a terminal on it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Squarish *

Can you take a picture? Does fuse blow when coil is unplugged?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that was a radio suppressor, so I took that off and the fuse no longer blows, but it's still not starting

Do you have spark?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't have a tester at the moment and have to go to work

Let me know when you get a chance to test for spark.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just tested the spark plugs and wires and I'm getting spark but still not starting

See if it runs on starting fluid, if so do a fuel pressure test. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No on the starting fluid, Tommorow I'm going to check the fuel pressure and the compression

Ya, it is starting to sound like your timing chain jumped if it won't start on starting fluid. If compression is low then that would be the issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the motor have to be removed for the procedure? Or can I do it with in in the vehicle

You can do it with engine in vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the event of it being the timing chain am I gonna have to replace the valves as well

No, they should be fine but there is a small chance of damage.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did a compression test on each cylinder and got about 50psi on all of them, so thank you very much for the help. Is there anything else I should look out for while doing the timing chain