EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I was searching for a "gauge light" that comes on/off

Customer Question

I was searching for a "gauge light" that comes on/off regularly
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: From what I've found so far when your gauge light comes on it's fuel related
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's my daughter's vehicle ... she just text me and this light is still on. Her manual says when the gauge light comes on it's either fuel, oil, or coolant related ... is this true?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: we've repaired several things on her vehicle .. the last being her fuel pump
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. The gauge light does come on when the fuel gauge is very low, or the oil pressure gauge is low, or the temp gauge is overheating.

Can she check these gauges and see which one does not seem correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We've checked the oil level ... it's ok. We've checked the fuel and she has a full tank of gas. We checked the coolant .. it isn't low on coolant, but we found a problem with the water pump and just had it replaced. The light is still comes on.

The indicators are not for the levels of the coolant and oil. The oil gauge is for the oil pressure of the engine And the coolant gauge is for if the engine is overheating, not its level. I would suspect either the oil gauge is registering low on the dash or the coolant gauge is registering high on the dash.

If you can not figure it out, the next time the light comes on, she could take a picture of the ENTIRE instrument cluster I may be able to see why the light is coming on.

Please take a moment to rate my assistance. And after rating the chat remains open for any follow up questions you may have. Thank you.