EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2016 Ford Cmax Energi - Hands free lift does not work. Where

Customer Question

2016 Ford Cmax Energi - Hands free lift does not work. Where and which module controls that function? The fuse is F1 in rear 5 amps. The lift gate mechanism is on its own 25 amp fuse.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Yes on the fuse, but no diagram.
JA: What is the model of your '16 Ford?
Customer: Cmax Energi, trim 302A
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not fixing it. It is brand new, but dealer said the hands free was not included even though it is part of the 302A trim package that I paid for. I found the under body sensor, the fuse and if I can locate the module, it will be hard fof them to say it was not installed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I found one module in the rear left cargo wall - AV6N - 19G481 -AM. It is large with about 40 wires feeding it, but maybe it includes the hands free option.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

Hi. I am a Ford dealer tech. I have access to the build sheets. If you give me the VIN number I can see if your vehicle came with the 302a trim package.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

Also hear is a picture of the module location. It is located behind the rear bumper.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Do you have a part number on that module? In the picture, am I looking down? Are you sure two modules are involved and do you have a picture of the sensor so I can confirm its existence? Was the VIN number useful?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

I have not seen the VIN number. Maybe your post didnt go through. The picture is showing the bumper removed. So you may not actually be able to see it without removing the bumper cover. Two modules are not involved. The one module I sent the picture of and the upper and lower liftgate sensor are involved.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

The upper and lower sensors are in the picture I already sent. They are the two items in purple in the picture.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

Can you resend the VIN so I can check what your car came with?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

Also, when trying to work the liftgate with your foot, do you have one of the keys within 3 feet of the liftgate?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 days ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for viewing my response at 9:47pm. Let me know if you have more questions on this. And also please take the time to rate my assistance. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry I had to leave the conversation last night. Thank you for your help. The picture of the module and antennas help solve the problem. The Ford service mechanic looked at it and figured out that with the 2016 CMAX, the under bumper sensor is over to the right side and not at the center as maybe it was it the past. So kicking in the center will not activate the opener, only over to the right.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 days ago.

Your welcome. Glad it is working now. Please take a quick moment to rate my assistance and have a great evening.