A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I own a 2004 Ford Escape with 80,000 miles. Within the last

Customer Question

Hi, I own a 2004 Ford Escape with 80,000 miles. Within the last month I have been having problems getting the car to start. The battery, starter and alternator have been replaced. My technician said that I need to drive the car more. We are trying this as an experiment. However, today I went to start the car and it is once again dead. Do you have any suggestions. Thank you.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 12 days ago.

How long does the vehicle sit, time wise, before the battery is drained?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Normally, it doesn't sit for more than a day. However, I was out of town last week so it sat from 11/18 until today.

You have a module in the vehicle that is draining the battery. They are supposed to power down after about 30 to 45 minutes after the key is turned off and all the doors are closed. We have seen the ACM (Audio Control Module) radio cause this. The radio will turn off and the display will go out, but it can still be on. Also, the instrument cluster is also a known cause. But do not replace anything. You will have to have a current draw test performed and remove one fuse at a time till the current draw is gone. You will need a digital multi meter to do this test and it will have to have an DC AMPS setting.