Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

It is idling bad and losespower or shuts off when u press

Customer Question

It is idling bad and losespower or shuts off when u press the aaccelerator
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 162000 4.0l
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Originally the oil pump went out so i changed that and now its idling rough and has no power and shuts off. Ive changed the spark plugs, plug wires, and coil pack
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes.i checked the maf sensor and when you unplug it seemed to run better and when i plugged it back up while it was running and it shut o Off
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But when i unplug the maf sensor and start it and plug the sensor back up it doesnt always shut it off just sometimes. And sometimes it will crank and start for a few seconds and shutoff with the maf sensor plugged in and sometimes it stays running but still idles bad with or without the maf plugged in. Also when its in neutral or any gear it looses power and shuts off when pressing the accelerator
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thanks

hey how are you

1- have you tried cleaning the maf with maf sensor cleaner

2- do you have a scan tool that can read maf sensor , what is the air volume at idle 5 g/s or lower or voltage showing if ur scanner show voltage ?

3- any check engine light on

4- fuel pressure checked ?these are your specs on it :

ITEM...............................................................SPECIFICATION Key on, engine off.......................................207-276 kPa (30-40 psi) Engine running...........................................207-276 kPa (30-40 psi)

5- throttle body plate cleaned for carbon build up ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have a tester. I will check them right now

ok cool ,let me know

Chad

if u have tester

1- get me fuel trims reading at idle ,long term & short term

2- oxygen sensor reading, up stream ,is it switching from 0.1 to 0.9 volt

3- fuel system status : open loop or closed loop when at operating temperature

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat