Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2010 Edge with about 52k miles on it. Recently

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Edge with about 52k miles on it. Recently while driving it feels like I have run something over and or dragging something. I get a load crunching noise and a burning/melting smell?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

Good morning,

Diagnosing noises and smells over the computer is tough, but lets see if we can get this nailed down.

Does it seem like the noise changes with the use of the brakes?

Have you looked under the car to see if the plastic skid plate is dragging?

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

Is your edge all wheel drive?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
When I use the brakes the sound stops as the car does. Once I start moving again the sounds continues. It is not constant and is sometimes much worse and feels as if I have hit something with a very loud crunch that almost stops the car. This is usually when in reverse. I have looked under the car and can not see that anything is dragging. It has also been to Ford Dealer service and they gave it a clean bill of health. I have just brought it back and it is there now. Since the problem is not constant I fear they will not be able to pin point.
thank you. And yes it is AWD.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

Is it the same if you are turning or is it better/worse?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
when backing up and turning it is worse.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

That sounds like a rear axle problem or a transfer-case issue. I would probably suspect the rear axle. We have had a couple of these go out on us (and we only have 3 of them in my fleet).

Has the dealer checked for metal shavings in the rear differential fluid?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will have them do so.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

That would be the first place I would check. The burning smell is a little odd. I would imagine a burning smell would be accompanied by a fluid leak somewhere.