Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1986 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 5 speed manual trans. Failed smog

Customer Question

1986 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 5 speed manual trans. Failed smog test. Hydrocarbons too high. Everything else ok. What gives?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.My name is ***** ***** here to help you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I depend on your input to my questions. Hydrocarbons are unburnt molecules , that could be fuel or oil going through the engine un burnt. I read your notes stating you replaced the distributor coming from the smog testing shop, is that right? If that's the case and all is running fine now then that could also have bin the problem why it didn't pass the test with high - Hydrocarbons If your not seeing any symptoms of oil burning and is running fine now have it retested. Make sure you check your oil and if necessary change it and run some good combustion chamber cleaner through it with high octane fuel that should help pass as well. Hope this helps your problem and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so. If your happy with my service please take the time to rate my, thank you.