Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Engine turns over full speed but will not start, can hear

Customer Question

Engine turns over full speed but will not start, can hear fuel pump prime when key is turned on. Check engine light comes on when key is turned on and goes off when engine is turning over to try to start. Any idea what the problem could be and what to check for. Also all fuses check ok.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Check engine light? It stays off the whole time trying to start and stays on constant with key on
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 e450 motor home
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself, have checked that can hear fuel pump run and started generator to make sure fuel is in tank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: started the MH to move it Wed. and it would not restart yesterday
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 days ago.

Hi. Even though you hear the pump running you should make sure there is fuel at the engine. Either see what happens when you spray starting fluid in the engine and crank it, or use the port on the fuel rail, on the engine to hook up a gauge to see if there is fuel pressure there. Can you do one of those things to start?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Have no starting fluid or pressure tester, can I see if pressure is on fuel rail by pushing in valve stem?

You can but that is really unreliable. Even if the pump is pushing some air fuel will squirt out.