Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Replaced battery on our 2013 Escape SE 1.6l a few weeks ago,

Customer Question

Replaced battery on our 2013 Escape SE 1.6l a few weeks ago, and it is leaking acid around the top terminal, just like the old one did. I feel it is too warm in the sealed box, and put vent holes in the top. Will this help?
JA: Just to clarify, can you see the leak? And does the battery have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: It is the crystalized white stuff around the post and clamp. It did not smell that we could notice.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put (15)1/4 inch vent holes in the top of the black box cover.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 days ago.

Hello, a sealed battery just does not do this, Hat buildup is not likely at all, Good suggest though, A couple things can in fact cause, Overcharging can do this and even a battery that is not good meaning a defect but 2 of them doing same thing? rare I realize so, since battery is new, I would first put on terminal pads, tehy protect terminals and are made just for this, Then? get a can of terminal spray and coat the terminals and around the top of battery around terminals, These 2 measures should solve the problem, Be sure to check for overcharging with volt meter on battery terminals and engine running and should be no higher than around 14,8 volts, if all good? the protectors I have attached files about I highly recommend