Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Last night on the way home the headlights just went out. I

Customer Question

Last night on the way home the headlights just went out. I was driving down a rural county highway and it was pretty hairy till I got it stopped. I checked the fusebox and if I unplugged a harness at the top of the fuse box the high beams would come on and all the running lights and the interior lights went out. This is how I had to drive it home. Plug it back in and you have everything but the headlights?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
With wiring harness plugged in it has no headlights, no wipers, no stereo, but it has brake lights, signal lights etc.
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. replace the headlight switch assembly, seen this a dozen times.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will give it a try
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you tell me why this would have anything to do with the radio and wipers not working? Just asking

let me pull a print to see if i can find out if they're runnih together in the same harness

what engine? 5.4 or 4.6

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5.4

ok. thanks

looks like the headlights and wiper share the same circuit along withe instrument panel .

while you're replacing the switch, look up under that area and make sure theres is nothing loose. i.e. connectors, grounds.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would this also have something to do with the radio?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't understand why kicking the kick panel over the fuse box would make it come on for a while.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just tapping it with your foot would make it come on, but now that wont even work.

the switch is loceted above that area correct?

do the high beams work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no the fuse box is on the passenger side

my bad, i was thinking of the explorer...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you unplug the wiring harness at the top of the fuse box the high beams come on but you lose everything else. I f you plug it in you have everything except the headlights, wipers, and the radio

i ve replaced at least 10-12 light switches on exploreres for the same problem

ok, back to the books

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does it cost an additional 26 dollars to talk to you on the phone?

i didnt offer the call , the site does that automatically. sorry. and yes its an additional 26.00

ok, since kicking the panel was making it work, check that the fuses didnt work there way loose. make sure they are good first, then make sure they are fully seated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are good and fully seated, I checked that first, and switched the relays around to see if anything changed

ok, im going to opt out and let another tech chime in on this. good luck. dont respond back or it will send the question back to me. thanks.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you have the antitheft /alarm package installed in yours to include auto headlights?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is an anti theft light that blinks on the dash

yes, aware but do you have auto headlights as well?

there is security to prevent theft and.. and option for securtiy if someone breaks in

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we do

got it, give me a little bit, I have info to share but will take a bit to pull and send etc, Back as soon as I can

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks

ok this is all hard to explain, But in lay terms, you have a module called the security module, It has built in mico processor, It controls the headlights, I am thinking you have a bad connection at that processor module for security OR a bad security module.It is very near the fuse box and plugs you worked with, I would locate and unplug, wiggle connectors and so on, I feel you have bad security module or one of the 4 plugs making poor connection. Here are pictures of location , First one is showing the 4 plugs and location

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i will look at it a bit and message you back

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have unplugged and plugged back in everything I could, and I don't see any frayed wires. If I unplug the harness in the top of the fuse box everything on the dash goes out, and it all comes back when I plug it back in but still no lights. One harness makes the heater stop, but along the fender does nothing and the rest of them don't really change anything either. I am lost
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do any of the relays in the fuse box have anything to do with any of it? I have switched some relays around to see if it changed anything and, nothing. The fog light symbol shows up when you pull the switch, but they don't come on either
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
with everything plugged in I have brake lights, signal lights, parking lights, but no wipers or radio

I understand but said the security module controls the headlights, It is in the same area, You were to unplug the 4 plugs to it, I also said if plugs do not work I highly suspect the security module, I sent location but here is another picture as well as wiring diagram showing that modules link to the headlights

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no head lights still

i just sent info, I think you are missing what i am talking about

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It also takes a long time for the instrument panel and gauges to come on after start up if that helps?

I have sent all the information about the security module, I am going to opt out,Sorry I could not help. Please save the rating for the expert that can help, One should be along soon to help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I unplugged and plugged back in everything in that junction box, and one of them made it die. But now the service engine light is on and won't go out
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

New expert here, do you have a scan tool to get the codes for the engine light? Or you could take this to any auto parts store and ask for a free scan. Do you have a wiring diagram for the headlights?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could probably take it to an auto parts store, and no diagram
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I can you one if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Auto parts store said if I unhook the battery for a few minutes and hook back up the service engine light would go out, and the do not have a wiring diagram. I guess I will just have to take it to a mechanic here locally and see if they can figure it out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess since I didn't get it figured out I will not have to pay for this service?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You have already paid, when you got your first response from the first expert here. You need to contact customer service for a refund if that is the route you want to go.