Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Second opinion] - im in really cold weather up here in

Second opinion] - im in really cold weather up here in Twaine Harte and my 99 Explorer stalls out when the rpm's go down
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Check Engine light comes on immediately
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Id prefer to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im hoping it's not a fuel pump as this happened last year same time with a no preassure fuel pump plus im in snow weather seems worse in freezing weather

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • Normally an idle stall issue is a bad IAC valve. Have you checked that?

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not checked the IAV Valve yet. Wasn't ignoring you, just busy. I work for tge U.S. Forestry and our internet service is spotty up here.What is an IAV Valve in Lehman's Terms.Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

IAC is idle air control valve. It is mounted on the throttle body and controls the air into the engine at closed throttle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
TY Bro! Are they swnsitive to freezing temperatures and if so what does one do?

They are sensitive to moisture in the air that can freeze. Normally the valve is strong enough to move even with some frozen condensation but not if it is weak and worn needing to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, got it. How much is the part by itself usually?

At a parts store about 60$

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You and how hard is it to replace yourself and what kind of tools do I need???

It takes about 15 minutes. Disconnect the negative battery cable, unplug the IAC, remove the 2 IAC screws, replace the IAC and connect it and the battery. I think they are 8 mm screws.