Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Two items, 1. This week: in first gear climbing a

Customer Question

Two items,
1. This week: in first gear climbing a significant grade, the engine seems to be "over revving"
also,
2. climbing mountains of western North Carolina today,
computer just threw p0021 and p0011.
resultant behavior: climbing mountains, as the engine needs to downshift I can press my accelerator to the floor with no response
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 14 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Have you done any diagnostic steps for these codes yet and do you need those steps?

Any running issues noticed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No other diagnostics done.
Was driving home from Thanksgiving when the codes threw. I had a lot of heavy higher gear climbing to get from Atlanta back in to NC. When we came off the interstate onto the highway, as truck downshifted, the engine shimmy'ed and seemed to want to stall, but I applied gas and it pushed through.

These codes are related to the timing and variable cam timing. I recommend adding one gallon of kerosene to the oil. Run the engine at 2000 rpms for one minute. Then an hour later run it again for a minute at 2000 rpms. Then drain the oil and filter over night, refill with the correct oil and filter. In the event the issues come back then you will need to start replacing parts or doing diag that is going to be hard to come to a conclusion on if the issue is not occurring at the time of testing. The cam timing components are highly controlled by engine oil quality, viscosity, flow, and pressure. The more common causes of these codes are faulty cam phasers and VCT solenoids. If the Ford pinpoint tests are needed let me know and I will upload those. My files are down for maintenance but will be up later if those tests are needed.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does the overrevving have anything to do with these sensors or is that a separate item?

Yes both concerns can be effected by these codes.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris