Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just had a new oil cooler put in and EGR cooler. when the

Customer Question

I just had a new oil cooler put in and EGR cooler. when the engine is at an idle and setting in shop, taking the rpms up there is no noise. but when you take it out on the road and make it get with it it makes a squeeling noise
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It sounds like its coming from turbo and it just started making the noise while still in the shop.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: Its a 06, but we had ford put a new turbo in,
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no a local mec. is doing the work and so far he hasn't done any to turbo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He not sure where to start
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  Matt replied 5 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you