Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Can't reinstall housing bearing and gear!!

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you referring to rebuilding the steering column?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Its the hole where the key and ignition fit.Key lock housing cylinder? It has a gear a bearing..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is a pic

Thanks,

Can you go into detail on why it can not be put back together. Does it bind, something broken, something not aligned right?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I try pushing it in with screwdriver but it falls, can't align it. I tried pushing it in even with a magnet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't know how to describe it, like it tilts and won't go straight in
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?

Are these the steps your following https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/retainer.pdf

Normally a dab of grease will hold evertything in place till you can get it locked in with the retainer.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand step 28. What am I supposed to rotate?

The bearing is what your rotating to seat it into place.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand how to make it rotate inside. I can't make it pass the opening let alone rotating. I don't understand what has to be at 1 oclock position and what at 3 o'clock position.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its 3 parts idk their names but does it mean ,the first one will be at a 1 o'clock angle then the second one (gear maybe) try to put it in at 3 o'clock position to the rotate? Idk

The first piece in is the gear then bearing, then retainer. In the images you can see that the bearing and retainer are oriented different. The retainer once installed has to be twisted to lock itself in place on the shaft.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK so the green one is the one that needs to be twisted. But I can't install the bearing. Do I have to make it go all the way inside the shaft? All the way deep as the gear?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the only way I can make it go in and I think its wrong because if I put it like that the green(last one) won't go in
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The little tab on the bearing should be facing inside right, not outside?

The retainer has to go in far enough to lock into place to keep the bearing and gear on the shaft.

The question about the tab, if I recall is facing inboard. I always mark them when I remove them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still stuck with the bearing I can't install it. What tool do you recommend?

I use a long set of needle nose pliers that are skinny.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What time zone are you in? You said you could reply until early morning
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I got the gear in. Now I'm trying to put the retainer in place
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put the keys in to test it but it is not falling into place. I can turn the key forward and back, some. I can't turn it all the way back
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It might be the ignition switch under the steering wheel. I had taken it out to bypass using the key bcs the actuator rod was broken
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Now I'm not sure if how to put it back correctly

It is 3:40am where I am, past when I normally log off, though trying to help all waiting customers I can.

You can remove the ignition switch to see if its now preventing the lock cylinder from turning.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its 4:44 am here. I really appreciate all your help. Can't take out the key bcs it doesn't go all the way back. And it doesn't even have any effect on starting the car when I turn it forward. I can see the actuator I installed moving back and forth but the keys won't turn all the way back to take them out. When I tried cranking it it just makes the power come and go on the radio but not the engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did, I removed it and reattached it and I got to fix the key issue, it comes all the way back and the key can come out but I try cranking it and it just interrupts power, however, now, the time on the clock stays it doesn't reset like it was doing at first when I couldn't take out the keys. Could it be that the the lock cylinder is bad now? Or it could still be the ignition switch?

You can test the lock cylinder while out in hand to see if the key an be turned once inserted.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris