Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1968 f-100 starts/runs when solenoid is jumped but dies

Customer Question

1968 f-100 starts/runs when solenoid is jumped but dies immediately when jumper is removed,(started will continue to grind while jumper is still connected)
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '68 Ford?
Customer: basic p/u
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, forgot to tell you this truck has a 351 v-8 eng. (W or C) don't know which, with electroinc ign. & exturnal coil, believe eng. to be around a 72 to 75 yr. model. purchased it to possably restore !!! been doing/mech. work since around 6 yrs. old. but not familar w/electronics igns. systems, jesse here...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, ign. wiring connector to key switch fell apart when I touched it, rebuilt wiring connector and installed new switch without new key cylinder installed, will crank & start using screwdriver to turn switch to start position then dies when released ?????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. My name isPeter and here to help you. I cannot hear or see your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I may help you better. I read your notes and question, what have you tried so fat other then just jumping the solenoid? Have you checked any fuses for the ignition?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
never received any answers !!! have asked for complete refund of all monies paid !!!

I need your input to my questions so I can help you, You never answered my questions as I am not there to see or hear your vehicle I need your input so I can properly format an answer. So do you want me to help you or not?