Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2001 v10 6.8L Excursion 4x4. We have a driving rain

Customer Question

I have a 2001 v10 6.8L Excursion 4x4. We have a driving rain a week ago and i had trouble starting the truck. Towed to my garage. Now traced a short thru the central
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and Yes.
JA: What year is your Excursion?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am trying to fix it. Traced a short 2A-3.5A thru the central fuse block to the internal fuse block. Then traced it to the 5A fuse feeding the GEM. When the GEM is has all its connectors plugged into my test light at the battery negative stays on. When i pull the 22pin (side - bottom of 3) wiring connector the light goes out.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced the GEM. I really do not have the proper wiring diagrams for this truck, just Haynes and a 2005 Service manual (but all different).
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you diagnosing a parasitic battery drain issue or a no start concern related to the GEM module?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris