kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a problem with my 2002 Ford Ranger clutch pedal. I

Customer Question

I have a problem with my 2002 Ford Ranger clutch pedal. I reached down to pull the pedal up thinking it would adjust so I would not need to depress the clutch pedal to the floor in order to shift gears. I heard a snap and could no longer shift gears. What do i do now?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Was the clutch pedal on the floor before you pulled up on it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No. Car was running well.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Does the clutch pedal free flop now?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No. It simply won't depress far enough to shift gears.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Have you checked the fluid in the clutch reservoir?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The Clutch master cylinder was replaced recently. The clutch was replaced several years ago but I have always had to depress the pedal to the floor since replacement. I've discussed this with the ford people but was not able to get an adjustment. I realize the Shop Manual says this clutch adjusts automatically.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Yes but if the clutch fluid is low, the hydraulics can not work correctly. Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch reservoir?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No I have not.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Are you with the truck now?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
but clutches are beyond my expertise and I do not know where the clutch fluid is located or how to get to it.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

You can check it under the hood. The clutch fluid res is just to the right of the brake master cylinder. Let me post a diagram of the res so you know what to look for.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. I'll give it a shot.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

When you remove the cap, "it just unscrews" There will be a rubber boot down in the res, unless it comes out with the cap. If it does not come out with the cap, you will have to pull it out of the res to check the fluid level. Once you have the rubber and cap off, the fluid level should be about half way up the res tank. If you can see all the way down to the bottom of the res, add brake fluid to it and see if the clutch works again.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

If you have to add fluid, just fill it half way up, the rubber boot will still have to go back into the res, so if you fill it to the top, fluid will be pushed out of the res is you over fill it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Took the cap off. Pulled out the rubber boot. The fluid is over half way up the clear plastic res. Will put it back together and try the pedal once more.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Put everything back together. Started the engine, pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and could not shift into any gear.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

Then you will need to bleed the clutch system. Can you get under the truck, and do you have a helper that can push the clutch pedal for you?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think I will have it towed back to the people that installed the clutch master cylinder and have them bleed the clutch system.
Thanks so much for your help.
G Hedges
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 days ago.

I understand. You will also want to have them check the fluid in the transmission itself. This trans is known to loose fluid, and with it having automatic transmission fluid in it, it needs to be full to make sure you do not have any trouble.