sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I did a minor tuneup on a 1989 ford econoline 350 with a

Customer Question

I did a minor tuneup on a 1989 ford econoline 350 with a 460. It ran fine, the next day started it and it was missing on number 3 changed plugs to make sure I didn't crack one. Checked timing to make sure it didn't jump time.Checked firing order 3 times. Ran compression on the cylinder 160 psi.Next cylinder was 165 Went and put a second set of wires on it and new second cap and rotor. Then replaced injector on number 3 no change on situation. Put a injector pulse tester on number 3 as well as number 2 no light but I had a kit and another pulse tester from a gm fit when it had the wrong configuration on the pins for the ford one. Is a test light the same as a pulse testor?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 days ago.

Hi there.

A regular test light has very low impedance and might actually damage the injector driver inside the onboard computer. Noid lights are recommended for quick injector pulse checks (click here to see example)

Please let me know if this helps solve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I used a noid light it didn't light

Try the Noid light on an injector you know is working; if it works there, then the driver for the other one is probably shot.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I tried on another injector no light. Is the noid light bad they are new

If you tried the Noid light on an injector you know is working and it did not flash, then it is bad. Make sure the Noid light is made for testing Bosch-type injectors.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok I have a Bosch type but it has different pin spacing can I run jumper wires

Yes, you can.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Its raining like hell here. I will need to continue tomorrow.

I'm usually online 2-8 PM weekdays. Hope to hear from you then.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
cool thanks,is that eastern time

Sorry, I don't work weekends. I'll opt out so other experts can look at your question. Please don't reply until another expert responds.

Best Regards.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi I am going to hook up a bosch noid light and check to make sure I have a pulse. I will get back to you as soon as I do that. Thanks

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The Bosch noid light does not lite on no 2 or 3 1 and 4 lite

So you have four cylinders that aren't running?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It seems 3 and 4 no noid on either there is spark through to plugs on those jugs. When I pulled the wires no change

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You mean a 12 volt test light? Yes

Is it an incandescent bulb?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
yep standard napa test light, with a bulb like are in flashlights

Can you see if the red wire at the injectors not working will light the test light brightly when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Connected
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 days ago.

I don't believe your whole post made it to the page, all is see is 'connected'.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Leave the wire connected to the injector or test disnonnected

You'd have to disconnect it to contact the pin in the connector.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok,thought you wanted me to probe througb
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hot to both
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Red and blask
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Steady light
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
On both injectors

Connect the alligator clip end of the test light to battery positive and probe the terminal for the second wire in the connector. With the engine off does the test light illuminate?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The black or red by second black?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Do you meAn the black,wird

You already tested the red wire and now are testing the second wire.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The second wire was hot also

You tested both wires for power rather than just the red?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When I
I probed the black,it was hot Lso

So you connected the test light alligator clip to battery negative, unplugged the injector and touched each terminal individually and they both lit the test light?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Does power on the second wire go away when cranking?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ill go check
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Dims does not go away after it starts

Compare that to what you're seeing at cylinders that aren't having an issue. Does that not happen on the others?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No

Do you have a digital voltmeter? You're going to need to disconnect all injectors and the ECM and test for continuity between the two wires in the two affected injector connectors. You either have an internal failure in the ECM or the wires are shorted together somewhere in the harness.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I need to check the other injector characteristics. Disregard the no on the top answer. What I was thinking is that if that is only happening to the 2 injectors.. Cutting the 2 black wires that run to the injectors and running a new ground. I aint there yet lol. Where is the ecm located?

It's in the right side of the engine compartment under the blower motor area.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just checked known good injector. Black stays solid light, red wire shows pulse in light. So it appears there is no pulse to the 2 red wires on the bad injectors
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for sticking with me on my little twilight zone lol

The red wire is a constant power feed, ground is pulsed on the opposite wire to control the injector.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
hmm seems that the pulse was on the red wire.

The driver wire for 3 is black/white, 4 is light green.

The same red wire powers all injectors and a handful of solenoids together. The driver wire to each injector that pulses ground is the wire that is not the same color at each injector.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will need to double check It looks like the each injector has a red and black wire. I will verify. I am away from the motorhome

Each injector has a red wire which is the power feed. The driver wire varies for each injector and is pulsed ground to control it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
should I unbutton the wiring harness. or just run countunity tests on the affected wires? The color coded wires run al the way to the ECM correct? Could the fault be at the distributer?

The distributor is not related to the fuel injectors.

Yes, the ECM controls the injectors.

If the two wires going to the affected injectors both have positive voltage all the time and the behavior doesn't match what you see at the others then you need to unplug the ECM and injectors to test for continuity between the circuits. If ok then the ECM needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
where is the ecm on the rig
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 days ago.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It was inside the pass side how do I get it to come out

Correct, that's the right side of the engine compartment if you're in the US.

You don't need to remove it, just unplug the connectors.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Got it

Great!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I tested for continuity for 3 is 2nd row 1 and 2 from right. cyl 2 is top row 2nd from right and top row first pin to the left of the bolt hole
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 days ago.

You tested continuity between the injectors and ECM?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
to the pins I described
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
from the non red wires
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
yep
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it showed 2 live on each injector

Did you unplug the injectors and ECM and test for continuity between the driver and power feed wire at the two affected injectors?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Had,continuity between non red wires,on, 2 an3
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
To the 2, pins on each I described earlier

If you have continuity between the two circuits with the injector and ECM unplugged then the wires are shorted together in the harness.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
what I meant is that Testing the non red wires 2 pins were active for each injector tester on the ecu
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 days ago.

You don't need to do anything at the ECM other than unplug it.

You're unplugging the ECM, unplug the two affected injectors and check for continuity between the terminals. If there is continuity with the ECM unplugged then the circuits are shorted together in the harness.

If they are not shorted together or to power or ground with the ECM unplugged then replace the ECM.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Bear with me on this. So I unplugged the affected injectors. I mran a jumper wire from the non red injectors on the unpluged injector wires to the ecm I had continuity between thise wires to the ecm pins and have continuity29 November 2016 09:51
So I tested for continuity for 3 is 2nd row 1 and 2 from right. cyl 2 is top row 2nd from right and top row first pin to the left of the bolt hole. There is continuity there

Unplug the ECM.

Unplug the injectors.

One test lead goes to one terminal in the injector.

The second lead goes to the second terminal.

If continuity is shown then you have a wiring problem.

If an open circuit is shown then you need an ECM.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I disconnected the ecm I tested for continuity on each injector. 2 female pins on the harness were live for each cylinder, So does it go non red into the ecm through the processor and out and back to the injector. which would explane conttinuity on 2 lines
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 day ago.

You unplugged the ECM and injectors and found two wires in the injector connector had continuity to each other?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
ya but after passing through the ecm like continuity into the first pin on top and 2nd pin on top. So if it was plugged in it would be juice in then through the ecm and juice out. Does this make sence
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
ya need juice into the ecm then through the processor and timed joice out or vice versa
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 day ago.

You're not concerned with the engine controller. You're testing the wiring with the controller unplugged.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
correct again thanks for your patience on this issue
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 day ago.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
yep ecm unpluged testing continuity on the female end of the connection block. had continuity on 4 total like I said must be hot from the injector then through the ecm back to the injector from each of the 2 injectors. Am I correct on the assumption. I need to go fix another rig I will be back this evening. Again thank you
Kevin B
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 day ago.

If the two wires in a connector show continuity with the ECM and injector unplugged then the circuits are shorted together in the wiring harness.

Customer: replied 5 hours ago.
is there a likely place for a short. In the event I can't locate the short. can I run wires to bypas it?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied less than 1 hour ago.

The short could be anywhere in the harness. Yes, cutting the old wires and running new is acceptable if you're not able to find the problem area.