Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

Our 2010 Ford Expedition XL is having problems getting out

Customer Question

Our 2010 Ford Expedition XL is having problems getting out of park. Initially I had low brake fluid at the "min" level. I filled it up to "Max" and it worked fine. Now we are having problems with it releasing from park.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fluid level is good. Last time it was changed was in 2014.
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm just trying to trouble shoot it. I don't know if the brake fluid level was the culprit or is there another sensor (like the brake switch sensor). What else can cause it to remain stuck.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- check the brake switch in the steering it supposed to release the shift interlock for the shifter when you apply the brakes ,you can usual hear it click

2-i sent you a diagram showing you location & R&R of the brake interlock switch on the steering,please press the blue link to open the picture

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator - Column Shift

Removal and Installation 1. Apply the park brake. 2. N

. NOTE: Steering wheel removed for clarity. Unsnap and remove the upper steering column shroud from the lower shroud.OTICE: To prevent damage to the selector lever boot, do not pull out on the top of the boot frame. Remove the selector lever boot from the steering column shroud by pressing in on the selector lever boot frame.

3. Position the selector lever boot up the selector lever.

5. Pull back on the brake shift interlock plunger, apply the brake pedal and shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

Zoom and Print Options

6. Disconnect the Brake Shift Interlock Actuator (BSIA) electrical connector.

7. Remove the BSIA screw.

8. Gently pry the clip up and remove the BSIA. 9. NOTE: When installing the BSIA, verify that the BSIA override has been activated and the slider is fully rearward. Before rotating the selector lever from NEUTRAL into PARK, align the selector lever tab into the BSIA. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My shifter is located on the floor not on the column. Don't believe those pictures are going to help.

let me send you the floor one

This will be different for floor shifter , not service switch the whole shifter needs replacement as an assembly if that is causing the problem for you

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator - Floor Shift NOTE: The Brake Shift Interlock Actuator (BSIA) is not serviced individually. If installation of a new BSIA is required, install a new floor shift selector lever assembly.

Please let me know if that works for you or you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 15 days ago.

Hey how are you

Happy Thanksgiving

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat