K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I had my 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan wheels aligned yesterday

Customer Question

I had my 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan wheels aligned yesterday due to a flat tire. Had to get all new tires anyway due to the alignment issue and the wear on the tire (40k on a 60k tire). The Toe was way off on the left and right rear wheels. Left was -1.01 and the Right was -1.13. Total toe was -2.14. The Firestone tech thought it might be weight from the trunk but it's less than 100 lbs of nursing supplies. But they said it could be the spring on the strut. We have about 117,000 miles on the car with no replacement of the struts.
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: Just when the temp changes during the seasons (cold air mostly). The tire wear was feathering. you could see the tire beads in the inner edge of the tire and it was worn up to the outer edge, with more tread on the outer edge. Both back tires were like that, but the right rear didn't shoe the beads. I think the beads on the left was shown due to the tire being driven from the time the air went out to my wife stopping at a gas station (wear and tear from a tire loosing air fast) with in minutes.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: They got the wheels aligned where it needed to be. Right now the Toe on LEft Rear is .01 and the Right Rear is .30 with total Toe of .31. The Firestone Tech told us to go back about 2000 miles to recheck the alignment. If it's off, it must be the spring on strut. We get our alignment done every 5 to 7,000 miles since we have lifetime alignment package from Firestone.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thinks.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I agree with the firestone tesch that strut and spring weaar could be the issue here. With the mileage I would suggest going the loaded strut route, it'll save you a good bit in labor as the spring is already on the new strut and they just have to swap the assemblies out.

I suggesst the also check all the bushings in the rear susupension. Struts and springs being bad will usually cause more cupping than edge wear, so there may be a bsuhing thats shot allowing movement of the toe under load.