Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

2012 edge vista roof worked perfectly until today. it opened

Customer Question

2012 edge vista roof worked perfectly until today. it opened perfectly, as usual, but will only close 3", then the screen closes with the roof still open. You can open it the 3" and then close it the 3" with no problem. Operates at normal speed for those 3". went to the Ford house, to a friend who works there, for help. Can't figure it out, can't even push/pull it past the 3" stopping point. Is there a reset on the motor/sensors for the vista roof? or any other suggestions? I would at least like to get it shut until repairs can be made.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No codes. i don't know, i assumed there would be safety sensors to keep from chopping a kids head off ;-))
JA: What is the model of your '12 Ford?
Customer: edge
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: only because Ford couldnt help today. not fixing, just trying to get it closed for now. I have the battery negative post disconnected trying to reset the computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that im aware of
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Are you handy around cars that you can lower the front portion of the head linner to get at the sun roof motor? This is what you have to do to close it if it's jamming. I can help you further if you can do that. The only other option is to try and help it with pushing as you activate the s/w Then id that fails close off with a plastic bag and tape till a shop can take it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I thought the motor was in the back. If I gain access, how do I manually close it?

If you gain access you remove the small motor and then you can use a screw driver to turn the gear to close it.