AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

When it rains the wiring does weird stuff, like fan and

Customer Question

when it rains the wiring does weird stuff, like fan and radio on with no key in the ignition
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: yes, 1 5 amp was blown it is still out with same problems, like now bell goes off like the door is open with key in ignition. no key in ignition. the truck does stsrt
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 epedition
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: last year when it happened replaced battery, my wife thinks she had to press a button to reset computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 14 days ago.

Hello. This is an extremely common problem on your model vehicle. It happens to nearly every single one. What is happening is the windshield is leaking. The water is running down the pillar and onto the GEM module. The only fix is to remove the windshield, clean up the rust and re install the windshield. Please let me know if that helps you at all.

I should add, the gem module is located under the dash on the driver side.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will it dry out and function again

Usually they do dry out and work fine again until the next rain. We get expeditions in here all the time that have caulk squeezed into the corner of the windshield, but don't try it. It won't fix it.

sometimes, if the leak has just started, it will only happen during heavy rain falls, but after a while, the leak gets larger and larger and then a small rain fall will cause these issues.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd like to help you until you have all the answers you came here for. Please remember to rate my service so I can be compensated. Follow ups are always free even after rating. Thank you.