Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

When I turn the key on the fuel pump runs continuously. 2000

Customer Question

When I turn the key on the fuel pump runs continuously. 2000 f450 7.3
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Manual transmission in neutral. No wheel lock.
JA: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Truck is hard starting. Replaced hpop ,glow plugs, glow plug relay. Still trouble starting. Took road test ran ok shut down left over night now won't start. Acts like no fuel. Hpop pressure runs up to 3000 when cranking.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Believe the glow plug circuit is not working. Have inspected wiring haven't found any problems.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 17 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Does plugging it in overnight help?

How cold is it outside when this happens?

Any codes stored?

Will your scan tool do an injector buzz test?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Chris

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
plugging it in over night did help. Now not starting at all. 50 degrees. and colder. Yes there are stored codes. P1960,p0380,p0230,p0232, p1662,p0640. Yes scan tool will do buzz test. No haven't checked fuel pressure yet. Was checking fuel pump, turned key to run position pump runs continuously instead of shutting off after 20 sec.

Thanks,

Doing the buzz test see if any injectors sound weaker than the others.

A fuel pressure test is needed to see if the pump is weak, not feeding the filter housing with enough pressure.

Since plugging it in helps, testing each glow plug to see if they get hot is needed.

1960 no such code. 1690 is a issue with the waste gate control solenoid.

0380 glow plug relay issue https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/0380.pdf

0230 fuel pump relay control concern https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/0230.pdf

0232 fuel pump relay control concern

1662

0640 intake manifold heater concern.

The focus needs to be on the glow plug and fuel pump codes, can you do the diag steps included above.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris