James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Scenario: Hot wired fuel pump runs, removed hot wire,

Customer Question

Scenario: Hot wired fuel pump runs, removed hot wire, cranks, fires up good, runs out of fuel. 2000 3.8l v6 mustang
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Checked crank shaft sensor, checked cam shaft sensor, checked fuses, can only get
JA: What year is your Mustang?
Customer: 2000 3.8l v6
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Total amateur!! Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Fired up fine before removing heads to access blown head gasket at cyclinder 5 and 6. Heads resurfaced, 120 compression on 5, all others are between 175 and 180.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
P1233 code Fuel Pump Drive Module disabled or off line
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
module is located drivers side rear trunk.
Expert:  James replied 12 days ago.
Hello, if you tap on the drive module with the handle of a screw driver will the vehicle run. Fuel pump driver modules are a common failure point on Ford fuel systems. They have dropped in price over the years for this very reason.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Tried that. Thinking next step check voltage to module through to fuel pump (and ground). I get 2 or 3 volts at the plugin at the rear of the Mustang. No sound from fuel pump when I turn the key on. Gets fuel to engine when I hot wire directly with 12 volts.
Expert:  James replied 12 days ago.
When you turn the key on you want to make sure you have 12v on pink wire with black wire. If you have power I would suspect bad driver module. If you don't have power I would check the inertia switch
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Inertia switch fine. Will check the wires for correct voltage. Thank you. This is a retirement project. Vehicle was given to me by an international student whoe visa and passport were over due. Learning a lot. Did a 66 mustang two years ago for my son-in-law. Not so many sensors!!! Thanks. ***** on the right track now.
Expert:  James replied 12 days ago.
You are welcome. If you have more questions please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Satisfied with your response.
Expert:  James replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. At the top of the questions I believe there are 5 stars. This is the rating system. I receive credit for 3 stars and above