Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ron, 2007 ford 500 when you turn the key to the on position

Customer Question

hello ron
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 ford 500 when you turn the key to the on position all the dash lights are fine, when you start the car and it runs all lights,radio heater controls shut off except battery light, test battery and have 12.4 volts, test while car runs I have 13.8 volts
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: no I have everything when the key is in the on position
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet except testing the battery and alt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 11 days ago.

Hi Im David. if you have 13.8 volts while vehicle is running then the alternator isnt doing its job as its supoosed to put out no less than 14.4 volts.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I disconnected the battery completely for 10 minutes reconnected it and eveything seems to be working dash lights radio heater turn signals the car has been running for 40 minutes no drop on battery volts the engine light and traction control light are on

ok, have the computer scanned for fault codes. dont worry about the traction control light as that system is automatically disable any time a fault is initiated from the pcm. let me know what fault codes you get. thanks.

Expert:  david craig replied 10 days ago.

just checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Heres the senerio: I have a Ford 500 year 2006. we had no dash lights or gauges no tail lights radio or heater, but the vehicle ran fine. Tested the battery it checked out at 12.4 volts and held a load, tested the alt it ran at 14.5, I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, after I reconnected the battery all the proper lights and guages, radio and heater worked, I then drove it from Pa to md. appoximtly***** tested the alt and it still registered at 14.5 The only problem was the check ing light and traction light, scan computer by your sugestion and came up with a PO 653 code System voltage high, I also found a bad connection to the passenger head light pigtail, I can wiggle the pigtal and the light would flicker on and off, Ive read that this is a common problem with this model, what would be the fix....
scott
Expert:  david craig replied 7 days ago.

where are you testing the alternator at?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
From the baterry while the car is running useing a batery/alt tester from snap-on

p0653 is just a nuisance fault i believe due to a voltage spike on a sensor reference line. are all the dash lights and everything still ok. the car still running ok? as far as the trac light coming on, the traction system is automatically disabled when the check engine light comes on. erase the code and you should be fine. as far as the headlight. remove the connector look for corrosion. if none found replace the pigtail.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
DavidSince this is a common problem with this model/make any ideas what may cause the problem

the headlight problem?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No ,. Dashlight, gauges, radio, taillights ECT probl

is everything working ok now as far as the dash lights, gauges etc...?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
For right now yes

internal regulator voltage fluctuations. the wiring for the internal voltage regulator needs to be well protected and the connector needs to be protected from dirt, moisture,etc...

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. its the only way i get credit for my help. thanks and have a great weekend.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is this an internal regulator problem that's causing the problem

yes, they dont use external ones any more.

Expert:  david craig replied 6 days ago.

do you need further assistance?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you still needing assistance with this alternator/PCM issue? If so I can help.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ChrisRead the pryor posts. I'm just not sure if the regulator would be the problem, I have researched this and found several post on the internet with this exact problem and wiht most saying the same thing, they replace the alt. and the problem is still happening, with several complaint to Ford itself, Nobody has posted a fix that has worked.

At idle what is the battery voltage?

At idle with the headlights, wipers, and blower on what is the battery voltage?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
At idle with headlights and remember heater dashlights turn signels brake lights and wipers do not work when this started just head lights tail lights engine running and the battery light were the only thing working, with that the voltage was 14.3 I then disconnected the battery for 10 min. and rehooked it back up and then everything worked as normal lights, brake lights turn sig. heater and wipers dashlights all worked as normal only this time the battery light was off and the check engine light and trac lights were on. I scan the code and came up with P0653 system voltage high code.

Have you done the Ford diag steps for code 0653 yet or do you need those steps?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I would need those steps
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i would need those steps

Are you sure that code is correct? Ford says this car can not store a P0653.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'm sure using a Logitech scanner I'll recheck on weds when I get it back from mother-in-law I never cleared it

Thanks