Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Seems battery is ok but will not crank engine with key turn,

Customer Question

seems battery is ok but will not crank engine with key turn
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: key is not worn or damaged and can turn wheel but very stiff to do so
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 ford explorer sports trek limited edition 8 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet other than hooking her up to a battery charger. seem a little low but at least at 10
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that will do it to this point
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Some battery chargers will show the voltage or voltage level of the battery and may show o.k. but if the battery is faulty with low or no amperage from the battery this will cause this fault here.I have seen several batteries act up like this here needing replaced.A local parts store will usually test it at no charge to you.

The other issue if the key is actually turning properly in the ignition is the starter itself at fault.I have seen issues with the starter solenoid act up needing replaced.

I would start with having the battery tested and if it needs replaced see if this resolves the issue.If this is found to be o.k. then I would have the starter/solenoid tested to see if it needs replaced.If you have a test light I can walk you through testing the starter just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Lights on dash and other lights seem strong. Hear clicking under steering wheel sounds like left side toward floor board.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

O.k.,this does sound like the battery is o.k. and it sounds like the starter may be the cause here.The clicking on most models can generally indicate the starter relay is working.

I suspect the starter at fault here needing replaced.This would need tested with a multi meter or test light to be sure.If you have one of these tools for testing this let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will try that and let you know if that is not the problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

Sounds good.Let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete