Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have an electrical burning smell coming from AC/heater

Customer Question

I have an electrical burning smell coming from AC/heater vents. Its not noticeable until I'm still. Goes away while driving. Just started using heater recently in Georgia. It is a F250 Diesel, 2008 model.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: I just noticed this morning. Just got back from gym. It is still dark here and was going to check as soon as it was light enough.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried anything since I just noticed it this morning and I am in research mode right now. Depending on what it is will depend if I'm fixing it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, its not unusual to have certain distinct smells when using the heater for the first time in months. I would run it for a few more days and it should subside and go away.

just checking in to see if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing else needed. However, I have used heater prior. Its looking like an alternator. Hard to tell since my truck has dual alternators, but there has been fluctuations in how hard blower works on heater. Now there is a noise coming from engine compartment that goes away when pressing gas pedal. I'm having it looked at today.

ok....good luck