Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1998 ford contour sport v6 2.5L. I changed the EGR valve

Customer Question

1998 ford contour sport v6 2.5L . I changed the EGR valve cause the engine does a quick stall while driving and when it stalls for a quick moment , the rpms go up at the same time . then it drives good and it stalls/studders . could the port/s in the manifold be clogged too .engine light had come on and the code was P0401. can you give me some help . Thank you
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: yes it is on . it idles fine it does it when its running . first noticed it on the freeway. I got off the free way and headed home . I took the surface streets and it was doing it again.
JA: Are you fixing your Contour yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and I've only changed the egr valve cause that was the only code that came up or comes up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got it thru a private owner . I live in Laveen Az and the car came from Illinois
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 13 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

When an engine stalls, the engine shuts off while driving and needs to be restarted ith he key. This does not seem to be what you experiencing. Normally a 0401 code indiactes the DPFE sensor is bad. This can result in the EGR valve not working right and dumping to much exhaust back into the engine which will make it bog down or hesitate and run poorly.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris