Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

It cranks over but won't start I got a knew fuel pump

Customer Question

It cranks over but won't start I got a knew fuel pump thinking that's the problem now I need to install but where is it located or is there something else I should check first before doing this
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: I will right now how do u check if fuel pump is working
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: It's a ford tempo gl 1994 it has 80,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Tempo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got a new fuel pump I'm Tryon to install
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that do I need to check ether things first before assuming its the fuel pump
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 15 days ago.

The fuel pump on your 1994 Tempo is located in the fuel tank and to replace it you will need to remove the fuel tank. Before you do that take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and check and see if you have key on cranking power at the pump connector on the pink/black power supply wire. If you do and the pump dose not run then that means the pump has failed. If you need the fuel pump replacement steps let me know and I can send them for you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok I checked for spark with a screwdriver I put it in to the spark pug wire and turned the car over no spark in any of the wires
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you still with me
Expert:  Ron replied 15 days ago.

Okay in most cases that usually means the ignition module and or the distributor pick up has failed and due to the age of the car if your replacing one your best to replace both. I have enclosed the steps steps in the link below to test this before you replace any parts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Nov%2020.pdf