James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Seems like the alarm system won't let my 2005 ford ranger

Seems like the alarm system won't let my 2005 ford ranger edge start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes. Battery is good
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's my buddy. He drove it to Mexico. He's stuck right now. truck was running fine. So far, tried disconnecting battery, waiting a few minutes and restarting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think he has tried fuses as well, but no details

Hello, Is this an aftermarket alarm? If it was Ford pressing he unlock button would allow the vehicle to start. What is the vehicle doing that makes him think it is the anti theft system

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The horn is blowing and on, but he can't turn it over. He's pretty mechanical. I am unsure if it is an aftermarket, sure seems to be one that came with the truck. Did not all 2005 ford rangers come with an alarm system?
They do but they act much different from factory alarms. If the horn is honking starting the vehicle would disable it. Since it isn't it is aftermarket. Under the dash near the ignition switch. The starter wire will be cut and routed through the alarm. You need to reconnect this wire and bypass the alarm. This will get your friend started again
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What if it is factory? And, he doesn't have a proper key or FOB? Before truck started up no problem, and I thought this system was disabled. So 2005 Ford Ranger edge***** no power locks or windows. How is this system then disabled? Keep in mind he is in Mexico, so getting it to a dealer will not be easy
He needs to disable by reconnected the starter wire and unplugging the module under the dash on the driver side. Have him look for a module with a lot of wires that don't look original.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. I may have more questions on this subject, but have to find time to do the work first. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here's a pic of the system. Looks original
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK. So here is the pics of the alarm removed. This is the starter wire joined together, the unit removed and the electrical exposed. Is this all that needs to be done. Just tuck everything away. There is no problem with what we have done with this electrical? Thanks

The vehicle should start and run now correct? This was an original accessory added by Ford dealers but not built in the vehicle by the factory. So without the keyfob that is programmed to it you can't deactivate it. You did everything correct.

Please remember to rate my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you.