Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2000 f350 diesel glow plug problem. can you help? 250.000

Customer Question

2000 f350 diesel glow plug problem. can you help ?
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 250.000 mi, just bought
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. New solinoid relay. Juice to it. But Not out.. Checked fuses all good. ??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: 12 volt in but when key on and wait to start light on , opisit post shows no volt. Can jump solinoid and glow plus seem to work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not yet thank you
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 16 days ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

May I ask when you say the glow plug relay, do you mean the control module? Did you replace it with a new one, used one or a rebuilt one? Let me know and I can give you some tests to run thru to trouble shoot it.

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny

1. Access the glow plug control module near the Right Hand (RH) valve cover. At the Green (GN) connector C152, backprobe any of the wires that go to the glow plugs. These are:

A) Pin 6 Brown/Blue (BN/BU) wire for glow plug 1

B) Pin 7 Brown/Green (BN/GN) wire for glow plug 3

C) Pin 1 Brown/White (BN/WH) wire for glow plug 5

D) Pin 2 Brown/Red (BN/RD) wire for glow plug 7

2. Check the wires for battery voltage when turning the key on and when the Wait to Start light is on.

3. If battery voltage is present, disconnect the glow plug control module and manually apply battery voltage to each glow plug pin and check the amp draw with an inductive ammeter. The initial draw should be at least 20 amps and then come down as the glow plugs heat up. If the draw is abnormally low on any or all glow plugs, remove the RH valve cover and check for a problem at the Under Valve Cover (UVC) harness to valve cover gasket connection and repair as needed.

4. If there is no power to any of the glow plug wires for the RH side glow plugs, check the Black/Orange (BK/OG) wire in the C152 to make sure it maintains battery voltage. The BK/OG wire is common to the BK/OG that feeds the Black (BK) connector C154 at the glow plug control module and both come from a pair of fuse links normally located at the starter solenoid. If the BK/OG at the BK connector is OK but there is no voltage on the BK/OG at the GN connector, repair the harness as needed.

5. If the power in on the BK/OG is OK, lastly check for battery voltage out to any of the glow plugs on the Left Hand (LH) side. In the BK connector C154 these are:

A) Pin 6 Yellow/Blue (YE/BU) wire for glow plug 2

B) Pin 7 Yellow/Green (YE/GN) wire for glow plug 4

C) Pin 1 Yellow/White (YE/WH) wire for glow plug 6

D) Pin 2 Yellow/Red (YE/RD) wire for glow plug 8

If the glow plugs on the LH side are getting voltage when turning the key on indicating the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is controlling the glow plug control module but there is no power on the RH glow plugs, suspect a faulty glow plug control module.

Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 11 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny