sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Was driving my car on Sport and now it won't turn on, 2013

Customer Question

Was driving my car on Sport and now it won't turn on
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The shifter is stuck in park, the car is saying transmission not in park. Trying to turn the car on and switch from Sport to automatic
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Engine light is on but have power to the car (interior & exterior lights)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. How can I reset my car to work
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it doesn't see the transmission is in park then the problem could be with the transmission range sensor or it may not actually be in park due to a shifter or cable issue, or something physically blocking cable movement. Some electrical testing may be necessary to diagnose the issue.

Have you had trouble getting it into park or getting the key to come out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
While pulling up in front of the house, the shifter accidentally went into from drive to sport. And while in motion, I switched it back. The engine light is on, but the shifter isn't moving. It's in park but the car saying transmission not in park with the shifter locked in park and car not turning on.

Do you have a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't

Can you visually inspect the shift linkage? If no problems can be found visually then a scan tool would be necessary to proceed.