James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2000 f550 7.3 that i noticed has minimum oil

Customer Question

I have a 2000 f550 7.3 that i noticed has minimum oil pressure at idle on dash gauge. When pulling load uphill today it had no power and lost speed with lots of vibration. It has 4 times blew out white smoke but does not regularly. After unhooking from trailer everything for some reason worked correctly. Sometimes it reads low at idle and sometimes not. Truck has 240000 miles.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.
Hello, it is common for the oil pressure sending unit to fail and can cause a false reading. The power loss could be part of the low oil pressure reading or it might not be. When you have no power does the oil pressure gauge read low?
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.
Does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No never
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the power loss happened i was on traffic so im unsure of pressure loss at that time.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.
It sounds like you have a couple different concerns going on. When is the last time you changed the engine oil? If you unplug the ICP sensor is it full of oil?