Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2000 F250, the #24 fuse blows. I have replace the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 F250, the #24 fuse blows. I have replace the ground speed sensor because the code is was throwing was for that. WOrked great for a while then blew again. I Though it might be the a/c so I unplugged it. Was good for a while, blew again. When it blows, the blinkers stop working, signals don't work, speedometer stops working, and the ABS light comes on. I also have a brake light on continually even though I have replaced the e-brake sensor.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: v10
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: checked all the relays to make sure they are working properly, all checked out good. I have replaced the switch on the overdrive lockout button., I have replaced the rear speed sensor on the rear end and on the top of the transmission.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 15 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, let me pull up a print and see how many wire you are going to need to check out. its not a component issue so relacing thing isnt going to fix this.

this is a toughy. it goes to lots of things apparently. but let me see if i can find the main source

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Its the fuse under the dash that keeps blowing, # 24, the one that covers half the truck, It controls the speed sensor, signals, blend door actuators, abs, etc...
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Its a 10 amp mini fuse

ok. thanks

unplug the abs module. see if that keeps it from blowing

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok,I will have to get to that tomorrow. I will let you know what happens. On a different note, I have been looking at some forums. What do you think might be the possibilities of it being a diode on the ac compressor. Here is the link to the forum I was reading. The problem is I have no idea what a diode is or what it looks like. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-ford-excursion-forum/766026-c-clutch-blend-actuator-fuse-24-keeps-blowin.html

its a distinct possibility, a diode keeps current flowing only one direction. if it goes bad and allow current to flow back thru them boom boom out go the fuse.

Expert:  david craig replied 12 days ago.

any update or progress

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i haven't been able to get to work in the truck. been raining like crazy here. it's been a good day today. my daughter will be home at 6. i will go out and unplug the abs module then.

sounds good

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok. i couldn't figure out how to unplug the abs module. however while i was upside down looking into the depths of the truck. i noticed the master cylinder has been leaking. not fast but it has been leaking for a long time. i found out my daughter, bless her heart, has been tipping it off about once a month. i replaced the master cylinder. check engine light went off. driving it for a while to see if that fixed it. what do you think. is that a possible solution? and should i bleed out the abs to make sure everything is bled out properly?
Expert:  david craig replied 11 days ago.

it sure sounds like it shouldnt have anything to do with blowing a fuse, but fixing the abs light sure.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
should we put this in hold for a while and see what comes of it? see if the fuse blows after a while.

yeah. give it a few days. but please get back to me. thanks

Expert:  david craig replied 9 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
far so good. i am also getting better gas mileage. and it's handling better. i am planning on plugging the a/c back in today. and see if the fuse stays intact
Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

ok