Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2001 Ford Escape and the battery dies over night it

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Escape and the battery dies over night it a about a 100mA draw & when I disconnect fuse F2-27 in the CJB it will drop to about 30mA. I Disconnected the cluster, radio & GEM module. When I disconnected the GEM module the draw went away so I got a used GEM from a good vehicle and I got the same issue.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Good morning,

When doing your draw testing, how long are you waiting to let the modules go to sleep?

What is f2-27 labeled? I can look it up if it's not labeled.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's not label but on a schematic it shows the GEM, cluster & audio but can you double check for me & also I left my Amp meter hook up for at least 20min and I didn't see it drop
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Let the vehicle sit for at least 1 hour to let the system time out and recheck the draw. 20 minutes isn't enough time to let everything go to sleep. Make sure you hook up a jumper wire in parallel to your meter while you wait for it or turning your meter back on will wake the GEM back up and give false readings. This guy does a good job of showing what I mean. It looks like he uses two jumper wires in addition to his meter, you only need one in addition to your meter.

If the draw is under 50mA after 1 hour, the system is working normally and you probably have a bad/weak cell in your battery.

If the draw is still present, disconnect the radio, the instrument cluster, and the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) one at a time to see which circuit the draw is related to. If the draw is related to the radio, verify the CD or cassette (whichever it is equipped with) is not stuck or jammed causing the radio to stay powered up.

If the draw is related to the GEM, locate C201b (26 terminal connector) and check pin 1 Black/Pink (BK/PK) and pin 13 Red/Yellow (RD/YE) to be sure they only show voltage (using a voltmeter) with the key on. If there is voltage present with the key off, locate and repair the short to power (start with checking for a problem with the interior fuse panel). If the ignition feeds are at 0v with the key off, but the GEM will not go in to "sleep mode", suspect a faulty GEM.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked those 2 pins and they read 0V
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

You swapped in a good GEM though right? Still 0V at pin 1 and 13 with the key on?

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

You should be getting 12 volts on both of those pins with the key on regardless of GEM since those are your voltage feeds from the ignition switch. If you aren't getting 12V there then the vehicle won't run.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there working correctly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well I was told it was good
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

If you're not getting 12v on pin 1 and 13 with the key on then there is a whole other issue going on. The trouble is when you get volts a pin 1 and 13 with the key off.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.