Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Trouble codes p0463, p0461, p0430, p0345, p0340, p0022 and

Customer Question

trouble codes p0463, p0461, p0430, p0345, p0340, p0022 and p0012
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: its throwing all of these codes and yes it has been reset.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 f 150 with the 5.4 3v
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have replaced both camshaft position sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the truck stalls when i come to a stop, and sometimes before the truck has come to a stop
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

P0463,P0461 indicates a fuel level circuit concern, usually caused by the fuel level sender but can also be a wiring or gauge concern. P0430 indicates that the bank 2 (left) catalytic converter has failed and will require replacement. The remaining codes I have addressed below.

These engines are notorious for phasers and VCT solenoids sticking from oil feed problems to the cylinder heads. Cam sensor codes do not mean the sensors are bad. Not all VCT issues will set cam codes, so you might or might not have them stored in the PCM. They can be set by any timing drive component that is making the valve timing incorrect due to over retarded or over advanced cam timing due to a sticking or inoperative phaser/VCT. The bad or sticking phaser or VCT solenoid is usually the result of the problem not the root cause. Here is a list of what I check or replace on these every time I get one in with phaser noise, VCT codes, cam sensor codes or misfires caused by VCT issues. Before any disassembly the PCM data pids for VCT error correction should be monitored to confirm it is a VCT issue. If the vehicle won’t run, a compression test can also verify the VCT problem.

• Oil Pressure. Any thing under 25 at idle will cause phaser issues. Oil pressure needs to be steady and not fluctuating. If low or fluctuating suspect crankshaft thrust bearing wear. This can be verified by a simple end play check. Also if engine is sludged in the least amount there could be oil starvation to the valve train which is also very common on these and can be verified by pulling a few cam caps on each side, it will be obvious if there is an oil supply issue to the valve train by the condition of the caps and journals.
  • VCT valve body/solenoids. Have seen many issues with solenoid plungers sticking and restrictions in valve body due to plugged or collapsed screens.
  • Timing chain tensioner gaskets blown. This will cause oil pressure bleed to the valve train and affect phaser functionality.
  • Camshaft phasers sticking due to contamination or low oil volume/delivery pressure.
  • Crankshaft endplay, I don’t bother fixing the engine if endplay is over .010”
  • Oil pump, I change if there was any evidence of sludge or varnishing. There are passages in the pump that clog and can cause oil starvation problems.

In short if I don't find oil pressure concerns and my cams are in good shape I usually replace the phasers, VCT bodies, oil pump and tensioners on every one of these. Ford has updated these part numbers several times with improved engineering designs.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.